Monday, January 12, 2009

Napier

I had been to Napier once before, when I went to the Gypsy fair a couple of months ago. I wanted to stay there a few days before traveling on to the northern part of the North Island. Napier's an interesting city because it was nothing really special until the 1931 earthquake that completely leveled the city.
After that tragedy, it was reborn and is today known as the Art Deco capital of New Zealand. So the buildings are quite attractive and slightly reminiscent of South Beach in Miami (though less pretentious). Don't have much to say about the city. I've been quite ill with a lung infection and so haven't gone on long walks or done anything too physically taxing. As a result, there were many things I would have wanted to do, but instead I deferred to the bed and rest and a walk around the block.
Attractive city though! Check it out.
Jogging path stretching from Napier to Clive, about a 10 minute drive.

Dentist's office. What a pretty office to work in and do awful things to scared people!
Pania, the local legend; below the story


Art Deco fountain
Shops on Emerson Street
This is where I stayed and had a glass of wine on the balcony while watching a beautiful sunset
Hotel
Marine Parade Street and Garden with outdoor theater
Architecture on Marine Parade

No comments: