Friday, July 10, 2009

Abel Tasman National Park - Day 2

On day 2, I left Bark Bay Hut and headed towards Anchorage Hut. I could choose the high tide route or the low tide route. I chose the low tide route as it would shave an hour off my walk. And, as you can imagine, I was not keen to add time to my walk when I was carrying such a heavy bag. So with the low tide, the walk was to be an easy 3 hour walk. It took me 2 1/2 hours, which was pretty cool. It was a beautiful day. I was rewarded for the exhausting trek the day before with gorgeous weather.


Below: Video of Bark Bay in the daylight!











Not too far away from Bark Bay was Falls River and its accompanying swing bridge.

Below: Falls River, though there's not much of the "falls" in Falls River!



About three quarters of the way through the walk, you get to the top of a ridge and on your way down a steep path, Torrent Bay Village reveals itself to you. It's a beautiful little village where people actually have holiday homes. It's actually private property in the middle of Abel Tasman National Park. I'm not sure how that works, but let me tell you...I would so love to know these people.The houses were beautiful. I believe the only to get there is by boat, so it's car free. Sweeeeeet!


Torrent Bay Village


Torrent Bay


Once you cross the low tide path (and again get your feet wet), it is about a 10 minute walk to Anchorage Hut. Below, Anchorage Bay.

Anchorage Bay
Anchorage Bay

Warden Hut



As you can see above, the warden's hut has electricity through the use of solar power. All the houses in the park can have electricity only through such alternative means. It would be too difficult to put in power lines in the middle of the park and an eyesore to boot! Of course, the huts we stayed in had no such ammenities, your source of light either came from flashlights (or torches as they say here) or candles. Very cozy!!!!

End of day 2! See you next time for day 3 and the start of drama and why I'm now blogging instead of walking through the Heaphy Track.

No comments: